Monday, August 25, 2008

Once Again


Another year of school has found us. You think after doing this for four years, I wouldn't get a bit choked up when I drop him off. Through out the four hours he is gone (it was a short day) I wouldn't wonder if he is doing o.k., making friends, and figuring things out; then feel great relief when he climbs in the car with a big smile.

I think I wouldn't have so much to think about if he wasn't at a new school. We decided to enroll Harris in the gifted and talented program and since it wasn't offered at his school he now attends a school about fifteen minutes away. It seems if I have sent him off to a far away school, he preferably would like me to think of it as Hogwarts. Luckily,I get to see that he is safe, fed, and in his own bed each night. Yet, if he needs me I can't be there in two minutes. If he is sick he has to wait for me to get there. If there is a disaster that closes down roads, he couldn't walk home. O.K., I have put on a bit of a dramatic air with that.

He says he met a friend, Adam, that I don't know...from Adam, who lives in a different part of the city too. Their table groups are named after planets, lunch recess seems shorter, and if you talk to someone, make eye contact, he learned today. Cursive, fractions, and such are to come in this third grade year.

Harris: please remember that even though you are almost nine and can make your own lunch, that I think of you when you're at school. You might come almost to my chin but, you once fit inside my belly. You might have mastered long division but, I remember when you said things like 'baf' and "peppy-oni. "

2 comments:

Debbi said...

Oh Kari, this post made me want to cry. Can't we find a way to freeze time and keep them little forever? I love the peppy-oni and bal stage. I don't ever want it go to away.

I love that Harris thinks his new school is Hogwarts! What a stud in his picture, he sounds like he will do really great this year!

Jenn said...

I think to day was an emotional day for all of us!